Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Well, I'm Back! And I've got some BIG NEWS!

So, my cousin pointed out that I haven’t written on my blog in eight months. For that, I am sorry. I have been planning a comeback for quite some time but frankly haven’t found the time to do so. This school year has completely flown by. I’ve been so busy with graduate classes, and while that is a meek excuse, it is the truth.
But I do have some exciting news! For those of you who don’t know, the Admin and I got engaged! It was on Christmas Eve. I am afraid I wasn’t a very good proposee, though! Here’s our story:

The Admin had his children with him over Christmas break. His daughter was an alter server at Christmas Eve mass. I’d thought it would be a great idea to try and eat dinner with my family and then ride with the Admin to his parents house to visit with them. The Admin kept saying that he wanted to stop by my parents house (where I have lived since September – I rented my house out in anticipation of a future wedding) before he took his kids to church. So while he was home getting his kids ready, I was at my house trying to get my parents to hurry up with Christmas Eve dinner so that I could go over to the Admin’s parents house after church. Well, my parents were taking forever to get dinner ready. So I was pouting, sitting next to the fire, when the Admin called again to ask if he could come over before church. I said “That’s fine, though I don’t really know why you’d want to. There’s not much going on here. Everyone is driving me crazy.” But he kept insisting that they stop by briefly. When he got there, I had just finished giving my parents a hard time because they weren’t cooking dinner faster. The Admin and his kids walked in and it was pretty obvious I was not happy. The fire was going out, so I said I was going to get another log from the woodpile. The Admin offered to help me. When we got down there, he said “I really want to talk to you about something.” I responded with “I really don’t want to talk about anything right now. They are really driving me crazy because no one cares that I am trying to get done so that I can go with you to your parents house.” He was standing there looking at me, so I began to load his arms with firewood. Finally, he pulled out the ring and held it up. All I could say was “Thanks, Admin. That’s really pretty.” Then he put it on my finger. And I promptly took it off. I was extremely confused for some reason. I think it was because we’d talked about getting married over and over again and now here it was happening and I just couldn’t let it sink in. Finally he took the ring, put it back on my finger and got down on one knee. When I finally let it sink in, I said yes and we begin hugging. My sister knew I was upset from earlier. She was wondering what was taking me so long. She came downstairs and when she saw the Admin and I hugging, she thought he was trying to comfort me because I was upset with the rest of the family. She came running over to check on me asking if I was alright. I held up my hand and we all started jumping around!
We’ve only hit one minor snag. We’d originally set a date for this fall back in January. But a few weeks ago, I found out that the venue had double booked us. We’ve ended up having to move the wedding forward by about three weeks. So thankfully the new date worked with the band and caterer as well. So our first bump in wedding planning has been overcome.

1 comments:

Anne said...

Yay, you're back! SO excited for you, Emily, and thankful that the double booking didn't ruin things. Yikes. What an engagement story! Can't wait to hear more about the big day. :)Best wishes to y'all!