Monday, March 1, 2010

A Lesson In Language

Because we should all be able to carry on a conversation with a 15 year old.

All the way retarded – you can’t get more off the chain (cooler) than this
“Did you hear that new Gucci song? It’s all the way retarded!”

Bad – strangely, this means good. Or good looking. And it must be only used for a female. Guys would be called fine.

Beast – good or cool
For example, if you were to give one of my students a good idea, he or she might excitedly reply “Ah man, that’s BEAST, Ms. L!” to which I would reply “Great! Thanks! Glad you like it.”

Beast Mode – good at something
Apparently this is where Beast came from. But this is referring to someone’s actions. For example, if someone is playing a particularly “hard” game of basketball, he would be in Beast Mode.

Bird – a lame, a not cool person
“Look at her comin’ over here tryin’ to get in our business. She a bird.”

Bucket – a girl who gets around

Buggin’ – not acting normal
“Man, why you buggin? What’s wrong with you?”

Cake bakin’ – flirting, I have no idea why. For example, if a boy and a girl are talking in the hallway, someone might say “Aww. Look at them cake bakin’.”

Conies – fake shoes. It was explained to me like this:
“You know when you see those guys that set up shoes for sale on the side of the road? And the Jordan’s don’t have a jumping man on them? Or he ain’t got no feet? Or the Nike check goes the wrong way. Those are conies.” Conies can not be used for any other piece of imitation clothing. Just shoes.

Gutter – having the kind of attitude where you don’t care. For example, you walk up to someone and punch them in the face, then you just walk away. Don’t run. Walk away like you don’t care. Because you were raised in a gutter and you don’t care about anything. "That is so gutter."

Hood – swear, as in when you are saying something to someone and they do not believe you. You say “Hood.” Similar to “On everything” and “Real Talk” or more commonly, “I promise.”

Quakin’ – hype, as in a fun party would be called quakin’

Screaming, or trying to scream – talking trash
“I heard you been screamin’ on me” or better yet “Don’t you be comin’ in here tryin’ to scream on Ms. L!”

Stupid – hot, fly

Swag – style
“Your swag is stupid.”

6 comments:

Red and White Preppy said...

Hehehe...oh, the joys of teaching in public school! You would be amazed at the "low-level" kids I teach...they are so good!

There's No Place Like Home said...

OMG--you need a dictonary (of some sort anyway) just to keep up!

caknitter said...

this is definitely educational...lol
you need to write a book about your students.

Micah said...

so funny!

Katie said...

Did you change jobs...are you working in inner NYC?

C said...

First, of all, let me say that I am in LOVE with your blog! I stumbled onto it by accident from the site that made your background template. I taught freshman English last year, too, and yours is the first actual blog for this age group that I've come across.

Second, this post cracks me up. I finally have PROOF for my husband, who has been insisting for the past year that those words cannot possibly be in use or mean those things. Thank you! :)