Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baptism by Fire

My student teacher started today. She'd worked with two of my four classes before because she was with us for a few weeks in the fall. Today she started full time. Today was all about correcting our exams and earning back some points because some of the students didn't do as well as they should have done. After lunch, I began to talk to her some about the afternoon class. They are just like the morning group, underachieving students capable of doing better if they tried. I told her that the afternoon bunch is a crazy group. Wild, hard to settle down. You fellow teachers will appreciate that. It's all about the make up of the students and the same group would probably react completely different if their class was scheduled at a different time, blah blah blah. I ended my pep talk with "But they are adorable. Very sweet. Just so talkative. They come in from gym." And guess what happened?

Two of them got in a fight. In the class. Yelling, screaming, threatening. The whole nine yards.

Thanks, kids. Way to uphold my last statement.

1 comments:

Red and White Preppy said...

I went by my old HS today, and I saw one of my former favorite students. He was shelving books in the library (exam day), and I started telling the librarian how much I loved him as a student. She replied, "Oh really? He was court-ordered to do volunteer hours." Ooops.
He still gave me a hug when he saw me, and he still said "Yes ma'am" and told me he was trying hard to succeed. Oh, I am so ready to get back in the classroom. One week!

And, thus ends my monologue ;)