Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don't Call Me Sweetie, Sweetie

I have never understood why some people feel as if they have the right to talk down to others. Especially when the “other” is a complete stranger. For example, I am in a wedding coming up, and I had to place a call to the bridal store and provide them with my measurements so that they can tell me that I need a dress 5 sizes too big leaving me to pay an additional fortune to have it altered to the correct size. I have no idea why bridesmaids dresses run like this. I guess it’s some kind of conspiracy on the part of dressmakers to make all girls feel fat.

However, this experience was a little different. I called in my measurements that I had taken myself. And a few days later, the woman from the shop calls me back. She told me that she was pretty sure that I had measured my waist wrong because it didn’t match with the rest of my measurements. It was too big. However, she called me and told me this over the weekend that my cousin died. I explained to her what was going on and told her it might take me a few days to get back to her. Her reply:

“Please don’t worry. I understand. Call me back next week and we can hold off on placing the order until then. In fact, we are still waiting on some people to call in.”

How nice? I thought that was extremely nice of her to call me back. So I called the store back when I got home and remeasured my waist the way she wanted me to. Sure enough, three inches smaller which dropped me two sizes. However, the girl I spoke to this time was nowhere near as nice as the first lady.

Me: Hi. I need to make a correction to some measurements I called in a few weeks ago. The bride's name is _________________.

The B: (after putting me on hold for ever) Ahh, that order has already been placed Sweetie.

Sweetie. What? Dripping with sarcasm and acidity. Not said in a sweet Southern girl kind of way. Sweetie. Very condescending.

I was reeling. After I recovered, I told her that I had already spoken with someone and had been assured that the order would be held for me to make my change.

The B: (loud sigh...did I mention great customer service?) Hold on, I’ll check. Honey.

She did it again! Who does that? Honey! Really? This is ridiculous. Honey. Said in the same nasty tone. Are you kidding me? She put me on hold for 5 more minutes before finally coming back and telling me that she would just have to call me back and let me know if the change could be made.

Turns out that the dressmaker was able to make the change. No thanks to you, Sweetie!

1 comments:

caknitter said...

Customer service is seriously going downhill...everywhere.
I hope your dress comes back with the correct measurements.:-)